Saturday, October 27, 2012

NaNoWriMo vs No-No Nano

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is almost upon us.  I was introduced to NaNoWriMo back in 2007 ago by DD1, and have participated in some form or another ever since.  In 2007 and 2010 I was actually a "winner"  in that I was able to write more than 50,000 words on my own original manuscript during the month of November.  Now, neither of these manuscripts can be considered a novel, by any sense of the word, but just the act of actually committing myself to write regularly enough most days of the month to reach the 50,000 word goal was an accomplishment that I could be proud of.  Last year I again tried to write a new story, but failed miserably as I kept wanting to return to my 2010 story and finish rewriting it.  Earlier this year I actually did make quite a bit of progress on this manuscript, adding a good 30,000 words onto the story during the months of May and June, so this year I had decided to not begin a new story for NaNoWrimo, but rather continue on with my revising of Nano 2010.

Tonight I read Tristi's blog post introducing her No-No Nano Challenge for the month of November.  It's basically a challenge for writers who are in the middle of other writing projects right now, and not able to commit themselves to a new story for the entire month of November.  One of the comments on the post mentioned the Nano Rebels Forum over at NaNoWriMo, where writers who are busy working on projects that don't quite fit the regular rules of NaNoWriMo.  So, I looked up the forum, and sure enough, I think I fit in.  So, I think I'll participate as a NaNoWriMo rebel this year (I don't plan on acutally submiting my work as a winning manuscript), but I am also acceptingTristi's No-No Nano Challenge.  This way I'll have double the motivation to get some writing done during the month of November!  

Anyone else out there doing NaNoWrimo or No-No Nano?

No comments:

Post a Comment