Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Creamy Wheat: Blogging from A to Z





Smooth, lightly sweetened Cream of Wheat is a comfort food. DH had an upset stomach several days ago, so when asked what he wanted for dinner that night, his answer was "Creamy Wheat". So that's what I prepared. I like to eat it with a bit of butter and brown sugar and a lot of milk. DH likes it thick enough to slice. When the Dear Daughters were ready to eat, we added some leftover chicken and vegetables to the meal. (Not mixed into the cream of wheat, of course, that might be a bit disgusting).

While DH grew up eating Cream of Wheat, at my house we had Germaid wheat cereal. I can't find a picture of the actual product, but it was basically the same, a wheat farina cereal. We had it for breakfast almost every day all winter long. Good memories, good food.

(PS,  I really like chocolate too! . . . but probably not so much in creamy wheat)

5 comments:

  1. "thick enough to slice" made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to eat that too in the morning with sugar and milk.
    I live in the south now and everyone eats grits, is that the same thing? They put butter and sometimes hot sauce on them. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cream of Wheat. It is a comfort food. We usually have it for breakfast, especially in the colder months. Most mornings I eat oatmeal, but Cream of Wheat is yummy. Nice post. A to Z-ing it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to eat that as a child, but then switched to oatmeal. Both are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love oatmeal too, but my DH seems to prefer Cream of Wheat or grits. No, he didn't grow up in the south, but tried grits while visiting and has liked them ever since, so I try to keep them on hand for him.

    ReplyDelete