Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thankful Thursday: A Chapter A Day

A Chapter a Day Keeps the Blues Away.

A couple of days ago I came home from work not wanting to do anything, so I went to bed with a book. DH works several hours later than I do, and DD4 is usually pretty laid back about dinner, so it was all ok. I read and dozed for a couple of hours, and felt a bit better, but not a whole lot. And I knew why.

For most of my life I have tried to read at least a chapter a day from The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. And on that particular day I hadn't read my chapter. Nor had I read it the day before. I've lived for a fairly long time, and this is one thing I absolutely and positively know from my own personal experience. If I don't read my chapter a day, I am definitely less happy. If I do read my chapter, even though life and the world don't change a whole lot, I am better able to deal happily and positively with the challenges of life. This is a proven fact to me. Over and over again I have learned this truth. So, why do I ever fall short and neglect my chapter a day?


The next morning I pulled out my Book of Mormon and read my chapter before doing anything else, and sure enough, my attitude and happiness were much different. I enjoyed my day and accomplished a lot more. I was happier. And I really enjoyed the uplifing messages I found:

1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?

8 For behold, the Lord doth grant unto ball nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

9 I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

10 And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

Alma 29:1, 7-10
The Book of Mormon,
Another Testament of Jesus Christ
I realize that everyone has their own beliefs as to what is scripture or the word of God, and I respect that.  Truth can be found in many places.  I happen to find many great and wonderful words in The Book of Mormon, and believe it to be the truest book available to me.  Whatever your own truth might be, I challenge you . . . read a chapter a day. It will help keep the blues away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment