Sunday, January 17, 2016

Where Can I Turn for Peace?



Throughout my life I have been very blessed, and I recognize those blessing almost continually.  However, somewhat like Martha in the New Testament, I am often troubled over many things.  I tend to stress and worry, which sometimes is a good motivator for me to do what needs to be done, but I also tend to stress and worry about things that are very much out of my control.  

So why am I not always a complete nervous wreck?  I have learned over the years, slowly and surely, that in spite of my failings, my forgetfulness, even my laziness that the Lord loves me and accepts me for who I am.  Yes, he expects me to do better and to improve, but he still loves me and has already paid the ultimate sacrifice of the atonement for me so that I can improve.   The Savior is my greatest source of peace.   I try to pray and study the scriptures, especially The Book of Mormon, every day.   I attend Sacrament Meeting and other church meetings every week.   I go to the temple as often as I can.   The temple has been a great source of peace and comfort to me over the years.

So, is my life always peaceful?  Not by any means.  The past several years have been very stressful for me, and there are things that I still worry about on a daily basis.   There are days when I am still very discouraged.  But, I cannot deny that I have had the calm, peaceful assurance from the Holy Ghost that everything will work out ok.  And during these past few years I have definitely had prayers answered for me and for others that I care about.  Our family has received many blessings.   So when the dark times of stress and worry come, and I know they will come again, I just try to hold on and remember the already answered prayers, and the calm peace and assurance that I have been given in the past.   I have faith in Jesus Christ, our Savior, and he is my source of peace. 


Where Can I Turn for Peace?

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.
Text: Emma Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI
Music: Joleen G. Meredith, b. 1935. © 1973 IRI

No comments:

Post a Comment