Saturday, April 7, 2018

Grandparents

Grandparents play an important role in raising children.  Even though we lived far from our children's grandparents for a decade, they were still a big part of our lives.  We didn't have face-time or google-chat or skype or smart phones back then, but we did talk on the phone with the Grandmas and the Grandpas from time to time, and there were weekly letters to read and write.


 We did try to fly home with the kids for visits with the grandmas and the grandpas at least once a year.  One year we even visited at Christmas with three toddlers in tow . . . and to attend their Aunt's wedding.

Both sets of grandparents also came to visit us, especially the Grandmas.  They would each come to spend a week or more with every new baby, and sometimes Grandpa's would even come along.  They were wonderful to visit and play with, to visit some of our favorite playgrounds and historical sites, and to even help with the cooking and cleaning and sewing and other chores!







 

Between DD3 and DD4 the time was right to move back closer to our families.   Since then we have lived just several blocks away from one set of Grandparents and an hour's drive away from the other Grandparents.  This made it much easier for the grandparents to attend important occasions such as birthdays, baptisms, concerts, dance recitals and graduations.  It also made it easier for us to attend family dinners, reunions, camping trips and other events.  

 We even had a great grandpa to visit now.


Visits to Grandma and Grandpa's houses usually meant new and different books to read, toys to play with, movies to watch, and cousins to visit with.  There were picnics in the canyon and hot dog roasts or barbeques in the back yard.  There were dogs and cats and cows and horses and swings.  And of course there were always treats like homemade bread and cookies and milk and ice cream.  Grandpa hosted the traditional July 24th party with numerous games involving balloons and chalk and water, and races . . . and quarters, nickles, dimes and even dollar bills!  Grandpa was also good at finding remodeling projects or yard work or other chores for the kids to help out with.  

playing balloon darts at Grandpa's house



And over course, grandparents have the perfect lap to sit on, tell the very best stories, and give the very best hugs!

What are your favorite memories of with your grandparents?






14 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcy! Just stopping in to read your A-Z posts, and loved this one (as always)! The pictures added a special touch. I only knew one grandparent growing up, my little Italian grandmother who immigrated from Italy when she was young with two small children to join her husband who had made the journey earlier. How I admire her courage to leave all she was familiar with to travel and move to a country where she didn't even speak the language! She and her husband raised my dad and aunt on a hillside in San Francisco that is now covered with back-to-back buildings, and visits to her home (and eating the incredible Italian feasts she created!) were always a treat. If I only got to know one grandparent, she made up for the lack of the other three! Good luck on the challenge; looks like you're off to a terrific start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to visit with your little grandmother. My own memories of my grandparents are good ones too, although they were all four quite elderly by the time I have too many memories, but I do remember being read to and eating delicious meals at their homes.

      Delete
  2. Finding your blog for the first time through a comment you left with me. I LOVE this about the #Challenge, don't you? I'm delighted to find this post on grandparents since I am now a great grandmother of 3, which is a great blessing, My grandchildren (12) call me Grammy. I didn't know my grandparents and I hope and feel I have been able to make a contribution in the lives of these wonderful loved ones. Thanks for all the hard work it takes to prepare and present your blog. I'll be back and if you have time for another BOOKSTORE, my theme this year, come visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephany, I'm betting you are a wonderful Grammy! My own two grandchildren (so far) live across the country, so we depend on google chat and phone calls to keep in touch in between visits.

      Delete
  3. I never got to know my paternal grandmother very well because she had a lot of grandkids and she was always busy with something--and she lived kind of far. My father's father died long before I was born.

    My maternal grandparents I got to know better, but even they lived too far to see very often. When I was in college I went to spend a week with them and it was a great experience. My grandfather died about a year later so I was glad that I was able to spend that time with him.

    I have 6 (soon to be 7) grandchildren. Mostly they live on the opposite side of the country from me so I don't get to see them as much as I'd like.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlee, I'm glad to hear that you were able to know your maternal grandparents and spend time with them. It is hard to keep a close relationship with extended family when they live so far away. We would like to see more of our own grandchildren too, but time and money don't always allow that, do they?

      Delete
  4. Coming from two 20-year blended marriages, we were both widowed when we met, we have grandchildren scattered across the US and now great-grandchildren as well. It's hard to keep in touch, be Facebook helps.

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful to Facebook and blogs and email and google chats for helping us stay closer to our kids and grandkids who are scattered across the US now too. It can really be a challenge to keep in touch with everyone as a family grows like yours has.

      Delete
  5. We are kindred spirits! I didn't write about grandparents but about grandchildren . . . almost the same. I loved your post and am so happy that I know how to get to you. I'm not very good at navigating this A-Z thing. How did you find me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I'll have to pop over and read about your grandchildren! I think I have been following your blog on blogger since another A to Z challenge several years ago, so noticed that you were doing the challenge again this year. I don't blog very regularly most of the year, but have so much enjoyed the A to Z challenge that I've tried to make the time to participate as much as possible during April. It has been a bit harder to find new blogs this year, but I have taken advantage of the daily links to each letter's sign up and list in the daily A to Z blogs on http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I remember you from other Aprils. I was just reading one of your comments from 2013 or 2015. Don't remember which. This is my third time to participate . . . I think, but maybe more . . . and I love it. Sometimes I have to fudge and change the date so that it looks as though I'm on time. Shame on me. Sometimes I post something that I've written before with a few tweaks, but at least I'm writing. I'm also "enrolled" in a prompt-a-day class, so April is really hard. Good thing I'm an old retired lady, huh? Are all of your children grown and on their own now? I do love reading about your great big family!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete