Sunday, November 18, 2018

Gratitude for Books and Scriptures




I am so very grateful for books!!  I have always had access to a wide variety of reading materials.  I had a mother who loved to read and who read to me often, and allowed me to read perhaps more than she should have.  I usually have quite a stack of library books on the nightstands and the floor next to my bed, and often have several tucked in with me!  I don't have quite as much time for leisure reading these days as I once did, but try to find time to read for at least a few minutes every morning and every evening before going to sleep.  I especially love to start my day by reading from the scriptures for 30 minutes or so before rousting myself out of bed to face the world.  In our children's primary class a week ago we had the chance to discuss how blessed we are to have access to scriptures in our homes.  In old testament times, the few copies of the handwritten scriptures that were available to the people were kept in the temple or the tabernacle, and often only the priests would have access to read them.  In the time of the prophet Ezra, the priests brought the scriptures out of the temple and read them aloud to the people in the streets, and they were overjoyed to be able to hear the word of the Lord.  Today anyone who would like to read from the scriptures has such ready access to them!  Books are fairly inexpensive and so many are available for free to download onto your computer or phone or other device.  What a blessing for the world today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment