Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Knit and Crochet and Other Crafty Things

 

To those who know me well, you're right.  I don't really do much knitting or crocheting or anything very crafty right now, but it is a blessing to me to have the knowledge to at least attempt some of these things.  My mother did a lot of sewing when we were younger, but didn't do many of the other types of handiwork.  She did teach me to embroider and would supply us with printed pillow cases and floss and other craft kits for Christmas and birthdays and other times.  I mainly learned to sew in 4-H and Home Ec classes, but my Mother was my main back-up teacher and support when the seams just wouldn't go together right.  She helped with a lot of the cutting and un-picking of seams and pressing and hemming jobs as I learned to make a lot of my own clothes.   I spent many hours during my childhood and teenage years, knitting, crocheting, and mostly sewing.  It felt good to be doing something productive and creating something lovely with my own hands. 

My knitting and crocheting teachers were my Primary class teachers at church.  I didn't ever finish very many projects, but I did learn the basics of knitting and crocheting, and have spent some time hanging out with cousins while we crocheted, tried to teach my own children the basic skills, and as an adult have enjoyed attending knit and crochet groups here in our church and neighborhood.  One of my supervisors was always crocheting whenever she wasn't at her desk.  She would take her projects with her to meetings or work on them during her lunch hours and gifted many of her projects.  She even volunteered at the local prison teaching prisoners how to crochet and mentoring them in many ways.  One year she gifted everyone on our team with a hand crocheted afghan made from leftover yarn from other projects.  We kept them at our desks for those days when the heat didn't quite keep the winter drafts (or the summer air conditioning) from freezing our knees or shoulders as we typed away.  I still treasure this afghan. 

 Have I really ever finished anything?  I think I've crocheted a beanie hat or two and crocheted around a burp cloth or a bib that's tucked away in my craft cupboard, and started a baby afghan, but no, I haven't really been very productive.  My dear daughter in laws both do much better than I do at such projects and have produced many finished products for themselves and to give as gifts.  But for me, the enjoyment has been in the learning, and in the social times when I have taken the time to attend the knit and crochet groups.  Maybe sometime when I retire, I might actually take the time to be a bit more creative and practice the art of knit and crochet.

No comments:

Post a Comment