Saturday, April 23, 2022

Typing and Temples

 

Typing was one of my favorite classes as a teenager, and I signed up the first year that it was offered to our grade.   It was nice to learn on the IBM Selectric electric typewriters that we had in the Business classroom at our school.  They had the roller ball, that was removable so you could even change the font, which was very cool for those days.  We did need to have a good eraser with the brush on the end for correcting our errors (I'm sure I had as many or more than most students), and learned to use the carbon paper to make copies too.  At home we had a big manual typewriter that my mother used to type letters to her parents and siblings, type up her reports as Stake Primary Secretary at church, and sometimes even write some fiction or other articles that she submitted to magazines.   Many of my siblings and I have also tried our hand at writing some fiction . . . mostly just for the fun of it.  Now days children learn to type at a very young age, and can quickly adapt from traditional computer keyboards to cell phones, to any type or size of device.  I wonder how well they would do on our old fashioned typewriters?

Temples  of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are different from the thousands of Church meetinghouses located around the world where we meet for weekly worship services and other regular activities.  Temples are holy places set apart for sacred service and ordinances.   When I was a teenager we very rarely had the opportunity to attend the temple, and during all of my growing up years I was only able to attend our nearby temple one time to participate in performing baptism ordinances for ancestors and others who have died without having the opportunity to be baptized.   Things have changed over the years, and when my children were teenagers, they were able to attend the temple at least several times a year, if not weekly if they wanted to.   All of the temples were closed for a period of time during the recent pandemic, but have gradually been opening up, and now most are open for us to attend by appointment.  I'm grateful to have had many opportunities since my teenage years to visit and participate in sacred temple ordinances in many different temples all over the country, and there is one currently being constructed just a mile or so from my house!

When and how did you learn to type?
Have you ever visited a Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

No comments:

Post a Comment