Thursday, April 19, 2018

Quarters




This Mom of Six was at one time a regular customer at the local Credit Union when it came to Quarters and one dollar bills.  As soon as the kids were old enough to understand the concept of money and that it could buy them things they wanted, it was time to institute some sort of allowance.   At one time we lived next door to a little convenience store, so the kids liked being able to purchase their own candy and bubble gum and baseball cards.   I don't remember what the original allowance amount was, I do know that it involved quarters, and it seems that Mom or Dad would pay it out on a weekly basis, probably on Saturday morning.  Usually we would also offer a very small sum of extra money for completing extra chores.   We have always taught our children to set aside ten percent of what they earn as tithing to be paid to the Bishop or ecclesiastical leader of our local congregation, so often times the allowance would also include nickles and dimes or even pennies to make it easier for the children to pay their tithing. 



One year for Christmas DS1 and DS2 each received a very cool little coin sorter bank in the shape of a safe where they could keep their allowance and chore money.  There were two little drawers for folded bills or other treasures.  I have often wished that I could have gifted similar banks to the dear daughters, but never could find the same item again.  Several of the girls did receive piggy banks or other banks to store their money in, but often times an old jar or can or just a purse or wallet had to suffice. 

As the children grew older and began school, they also at times needed lunch money or milk money.   We have usually offered them the choice of taking their own lunch to school or purchasing school lunch, and most of the schools have published a monthly menu of the school lunch offerings, so that they could make informed decisions about which type of lunch they would prefer.  They also had the option to just buy a carton of milk to drink with their lunch from home, so many quarters were sent to school in the lunch bag to be used for milk money.  In elementary school we could usually pre-pay for lunches a week or a month at a time, so I would usually pay a set amount by check and send it to school with the child, but by Jr High or High School, Mom would usually give them the amount their lunch would cost at the beginning of the week, and they were on their own.  Some still chose to pack their own lunch instead, and that was fine too.   It was always necessary for Mom to have a nice stash of cash and quarters to send to school!  (I was just now curious as to the current price for school lunch and found in our local school district the price is $1.50 per lunch for elementary school children.  I could not find the price for secondary school lunches, but remember that they usually cost a bit more.)

Once the kids left home, they quickly found a new need for quarters:  doing laundry.   Since most of them did not own cars during their early college years, a trip to the bank or credit union was sometimes a bit of a walk or a bus ride, and many of the laundry facilities in the dorms and apartments did not have change machines like many large laundromats do.   A roll of quarters as a gift from Mom or Dad or in a Christmas Stocking was usually very much appreciated!

Now most of the kids no longer need quarters on a regular basis, and many laundry facilities take credit or debit cards, so it has been a while since I've asked the bank teller for a roll of quarters.

Do you still use quarters and/or cash?

10 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about your quest for coins. I live in India, and need to carry coins (mostly 1/2/5 rupees) for bus tickets. If we don't have the exact amount, and the bus gets crowded, its quite likely that we wont get our change back!
    Nice reading your experiences as a mom.

    Would love it if you could check out my #AtoZ post for Q:
    https://lonelycanopyblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/18/qissa-haveli-ka-a-tale-my-husbands-ancestral-house-within-the-pink-city/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my daughters do still rely on public transportation, so have also needed quarters for bus or train fare too. I think they usually purchase a bus pass now and can add money to it online that is automatically deducted for each bus or train ride they take. It's interesting how time changes the way we use money.

      Delete
  2. I don't care how old my kids get..."Do you have a quarter for the candy machine?" is something I hear on a regular basis. I heard it just yesterday as a matter of fact, though my teenage daughter did look sheepish as she asked.
    Melanie's Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget the candy machines? One of my sons used many of his quarters collecting miniature football helmets from one machine here in town. And of course the girls were always wanting to try for the prettiest ring or necklace, but usually they were just rewarded with a gumball!

      Delete
  3. Hi Marcy - those were the days ... I have to say I have no idea about some of the currency here - 2$ and $1 are coins ... the rest bemuse me ... the check out has to take the coins from my generous amount of change I carry around ...

    Thanks for visiting - I'm now following you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it will take quite a while to get used to a new currency. I'm sure that I would be lost trying to figure out what and how to pay in Great Britain!. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  4. I use cash almost exclusively, Marcy. Some North American expats describe life in Ecuador as a throwback to previous times in the US and cash use is in that category. Very few businesses in Puerto Lopez take credit cards. One grocery store, appliance sellers, and some of the bigger hotels do. Everything else in town is paid for in cash and many vendors have little change so exact change is always useful. I carry quarters with me everywhere, although $.50 and $1 coins are also very popular. We are on the US dollar so now you know where the Susan B Anthony dollars are being used. The one coin that almost no one uses is the penny. Everything is rounded up or down to the nearest $.05.

    Emily In Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen a Susan B Anthony dollar for quite a while! I'm to the point now that I very rarely carry much cash, or use it for anything at all any more.

      Delete
  5. The important thing about sending kids to school is exposure. Kids have to be exposed to people who are different from themselves or their emotional and intellectual growth will be stunted. Of course, I say this as somebody who went to private school instead of public school. However, I went to a Quaker school that honored and respected all of the religions so I guess that's a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is one reason that we never considered homeschooling our kids . . . besides that fact that I don't think I would ever have been organized enough to pull it off successfully. I am forever indebted to all of the wonderful teachers that have taught our 6 kids over the years!

      Delete