Tuesday, April 24, 2018

University


 As you might be able to infer from these two photos, DH and I started indoctrinating our kids at a very young age about continuing their education after high school at a college or university .  Of course we do have an obvious fondness for our own Alma Mater, but tried not to  unduly influence the kids on their own choice of where to apply and attend college.  Both DH and I were blessed to be able to complete our degrees without incurring any debt, and for the most part I loved my years at the university. Our children have attended seven different universities over the past decade and a half, and although most applied to our school, only three of the six children ended up attending the old Alma Mater.   A year ago our DD4 graduated with her BA degree, and at present count the members of our immediate family have earned six BS degrees, two BA degrees, three MS degrees, and one PhD in a wide variety of fields:   Computer  Science, Food Science and Nutrition, Psychology, Math, Computer Engineering, Biochemistry, Communications, Fine Arts,  and Library and Information Science.

Are we proud of our kids?  You betcha!  That's why I'm bragging about them right now.  Do we claim the credit?  Absolutely not.  Yes, we did read to our kids and we took them to the library.  We encouraged them to do their homework, but we didn't do it for them.  We did away with the TV for a decade and set limits on computer game time.   We encouraged them to take advantage of Advanced Placement and Concurrent Enrollment classes during High School where they could earn college credit.  We provided books and computers and school supplies during the years they lived at home, and occasionally a loan while they were away at school, but the children all have paid their own way through scholarships and grants and part time jobs, internships and/or loans.


I'll take a minute here to state that I do realize that a university or college education might not be the best choice for everyone, and that there are many other ways to learn a trade and to receive an education.  I also feel very strongly that a young person should not incur a huge debt in order to receive an education.  There is no reason that someone should need to spend most of their working life paying for their college education.  But I do believe that everyone should do their best to receive the best education that they possibly can, and to continue learning and developing their talents all throughout their lives.  

Have you had the opportunity to attend a college or university?  What are your educational goals?

6 comments:

  1. I have already attended college. I majored in English and Art History, but have considered getting my Masters in Early Childhood Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed my English classes and one DD has a very great fondness for Art History. It was hard for me to settle on a major in college as there were so many things I was interested in! I wanted to be able to study a little bit of everything! I've taken a couple of college classes in the past decade, and still would like to sit in on more, but find I'm not quite as motivated to do homework and group projects these days!

      Delete
  2. One brother and I attended our mother's alma mater. I'm glad I went to college, but I also feel like taking some time to figure myself out first might have been wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often does take some time and a variety of experiences to help us discover where our talents and interests really fit in this world. I'm glad you appreciate your education!

      Delete
  3. You surely do have bragging rights, Marcy!!! Congratulations to you and DH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! I have enjoyed reading about your family, Jay and Wendy and the grandchildren too!

      Delete