Thought for the Day:
Jess at Write.Skate.Dream and MSbjaneb at A Writer's Muses have both tagged me in the 11 Random Questions Tag Game, and each has given me a set of 11 Random Questions to answer. If I have tagged you, you can read my answers, and then look at my set of questions for you at the end of the post. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to answer the last set of questions on your own blog, and then leave a comment here letting me know you're playing along.
I've been slowly working on my answers over the past few days and have had a bit of a difficult time keeping my answers short and sweet. I have a difficult time naming favorites, so tend to get a bit long winded trying answer favorite questions, but, finally, here they are:
First I'll answer the 11 Random Questions from Jess:
1. What's your favorite song? I really don't have a favorite song at all, or even type of music. If I get the chance to choose the radio station in the car I'll usually tune in to a classical or country station. I rarely listen the the radio or other music when I'm alone anywhere else, but I'll listen to whatever everyone else is listening to as long as it's not too loud or obnoxious. I do like to sing with choral groups, but not solo or karaoke. I love Christmas Music, so my favorite choral christmas song would be either Oh Holy Night or the Halleluiegha Chorus from Handel's Messiah.
2. How old were you when you started writing? I started writing at school, but don't really remember writing anything outside of school assignments until I was about 8 or 9. At that age I would start to write down and outline the stories in my mind and draw all kinds of mapsof the settings of the stories, but I never have enjoyed writing long hand, so I don't remember finishing any of them. When I was in High School my parents gave me my own typewriter, but I was too busy with homework and reading and teenage life to spend much time writing. I guess the real answer is that I first seriously started writing fiction when I was about 29 years old with a houseful of young children and a computer.
3. What's your favorite movie/book? My all time favorite movie is The Sound of Music, and my all time favorite book is The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ.
4. If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be? Hmmm , perhaps a Gazelle Why? Because they are beautiful, sleek animals and I would love to be able to run like the wind! Also, I believe that they mainly live in warmer climates. (I don't enjoy being cold). One drawback would be that according to Wikipedia most surviving gazelle species are considered threatened to varying degrees.
5. If you were the main character of a book, what genre would it be? Nonfiction, perhaps history. I love truth, and even when I pretend or imagine, it must ring true and be plausible.
6. What is the coolest thing you've ever done? What is your definition of "cool"?
1. In one of my summer jobs during college I helped to clean the walk-in cooler.
2. In my early 20's I lived and work as a missionary for my church in the country of Colombia.
3. Several years ago my kids sent my DH (Dear Husband) and I to California for our anniversary where we went whale watching one day and to Disneyland another.
4. The most fulfilling thing I have ever done is to raise my 6 wonderful and talented children!
7. If you could be a character from any book, who would you be? Why? Maybe Beth from "Little Women." Though a bit timid and shy, she is very thoughtful and compassionate. She finds the courage to reach for her dreams in Mr Lawrence's Library and at his Piano.
8. What genre do you write in? I have mostly writen childrens and YA contemporary fiction. I have dappled a bit in historical fiction.
9. What's your favorite thing to do, other than write? read, bake, garden, hike, sew, or quilt, depending on my mood and the season.
10. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be? Another choice . . .other than Jesus Christ, maybe Mahatma Ghandi.
11. Is there anything else we should know about you?
I love milk . . . preferably with homemade bread or anything chocolate.
And here are the 11 Random Questions from MSbjaneb
1. If you could live the life of any historical character or person from 1900 or earlier, who would that be? Probably the wife/daughter/mother of a farmer or teacher, possibly a teacher myself.
2. Why did you choose that person? I really don't enjoy being in the public eye. Though I would want to be literate and have access to books and the basic comforts and conveniences available to the average person.
3. What is the one thing in life you want to accomplish? To make myself into a more compassionate and charitable person.
4. What tv show do you wish would be remade or produced? I haven't really watched much TV for the past few decades. I did enjoy a nightly fix of Mash in college and my weekly fix of The Cosby Show and Hill Street Blues when the kidlets were little.
5. What was the last book you read? The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond. This country born and raised girl was curious to see how the city girl adjusted to marrying the rancher.
6. What is your favorite old (black and white) movie? It's a Wonderful Life
7. If you could invent one thing to benefit humanity, what would that be? Some device that would instantly show us exactly how our words and actions were affecting those around us.
8. If you could grant someone you know a wish right now, what would that be? For my 87 year old father to be free from his aches and pains.
9. What classroom memory do you have from elementary school? I remember a 5th or 6th grade math class on fractions where I was completely lost and didn't remember ever learning the material from the day before at all. It was very frustrating!
10. Describe your favorite fruit without naming it. Another favorite? hmmm which one. This fruit is round. It has a thick dimpled pink or yellow peel. The interior is divided into sections by white membranes. Each section is comprised of tiny little sacks filled with delicious tart juice.
11. Name a song that makes you feel happy whenever you hear it. "I'm Proud to Be an American" (God Bless the USA)
Ok, here are my questions for you. If you haven't been tagged, feel free to play along to, then leave me a comment with a link to your blog post and I'll add you to the tagged list. Happy tagging!
1. What was your favorite book or book series as a child?
2. Chocolate or vanilla or caramel?
3. You are going out with friends. Would you rather dress up, or go casual?
4. You must evacuate your home and only have time to fill one backpack. What are the first three items you will put inside?
5. It’s a rainy 3-day weekend. What are your plans?
6. What was your most beloved toy as a young child?
7. What is your favorite board game or card game now?
8. You have been given the gift of a week-long trip anywhere in the world for you and your closest friends or family members. Cost is no object. Where will you choose to go?
9. What is the most interesting word you have read or learned in the past week? (yes, you may look one up now if you like.)
10. What is the most creative thing you have done in the past month?
11. What is your most unusual characteristic?
TAG! YOU'RE IT!