Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Creation of the Week: Chocolate Flan Cake

Chocolate Flan Cake . . . what's left

So, I haven't been extremely creative this last week, except maybe in the kitchen.  We did make the traditional heart shaped sugar cookies to share with friends and family at the beginning of the week.  On Friday we celebrated a friend's birthday with Taco Salad, and I volunteered to make a cake.  We traditionally have a decadent chocolate fudge cake or an apricot spice cake with cream cheese frosting, but when planning the menu one friend suggested we have flan with our salad.  Then I remembered coming across this Just A Pinch recipe for Chocolate Flan Cake recently, and decided to try it.  I actually made two cakes Thursday night, since I had never tried the recipe before.  I removed the first cake from the bundt pan after it had been refrigerated for only an hour, rather than the 4 hours or overnight mentioned in the recipe, so it doesn't look very pretty in this picture, but it was taste tested and appreciated by the family.   The second cake was not cooked quite as long as it should have been, so sunk down a bit in the middle, but after being refrigerated over-night, then resting at room temperature for several hours, it was unveiled in beautiful condition after a little bit of coaxing.  Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the second cake, but it received rave reviews and multiple requests for the recipe. 

So how have I been doing on my new writing habit?

Monday morning:  1 hour of writing
Tuesday morning:  other Valentines Day obligations negated the writing
Wednesday morning:  1 hour of writing
Thursday morning:  30 minutes of writing  (I slept in a bit)
Friday morning:  Birthday preparations; no writing
Saturday morning:  Several hours of writing

Total words written for the week:  4,924

Plans for this coming week:  1.  Write at least one hour every day Monday thru Saturday
                                           2.  Complete Rachel Harrie's 1st challenge in her fourth campaign
                                           3.  Do a little sewing/quilting

Stay tuned to see how I do!




1 comment:

  1. Almost 5,000 words written during the week? That's great! I think maintaining a consistent habit of writing is one of the best ways to improve your craft...and to nourish your creativity.

    ReplyDelete