Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Temples


Temple of Hephaestus, a Doric Greek temple in Athens with the original entrance facing east, 449 BC

According to wikipedia

 (A) temple (from the Latin word templum) is a structure reserved for religious or spiritual activities, such as prayer and sacrifice, or analogous rites. A templum constituted a sacred precinct as defined by a priest, or augur.[1] It has the same root as the word "template," a plan in preparation of the building that was marked out on the ground by the augur. Templa also became associated with the dwelling places of a god or gods. Despite the specific set of meanings associated with the religion of the ancient Rome, the word has now become quite widely used to describe a house of worship for any number of religions and is even used for time periods prior to the Romans.
 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple)

Throughout the ages people of many different religions have built temples as sacred structures where they could meet and worship their God.



A model of Herod's Temple adjacent to the Shrine of the Book exhibit at the Israel Museum, Jerusalem. (Wikipedia)


As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have had the privilege of visiting and worshiping in many of our Church's  141 operating temples around the world.  We believe that temples are the most sacred place on earth-a place where earth and heaven meet and where we feel close to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  In the temple we are taught principles of the Lord's gospel, we make sacred covenants, we are promised blessings, and we receive ordinances that enable us to return to live in the presence of God.  We gain a glimpse of what life after death can be like.  In the temples husbands and wives are sealed to each other in an eternal marriage, and children are sealed to their parents in eternal families.  In addition to receiving these blessings and ordinances for ourselves, we can receive them for our deceased ancestors.  (see http://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples?lang=eng and http://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples/what-happens-in-temples?lang=eng)


“I think there is no place in the world where I feel closer to the Lord than in one of His holy temples.”


—President Thomas S. Monson
Current President, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

I'm grateful that I can make the time to attend the temple frequently. I love that I can be of service by proxy to some of my ancestors who have not had the opportunity during their life times to receive the blessings of the temple. I'm grateful to feel the closeness to my Heavenly Father when I'm in the temple. I'm grateful to have been born to parents who have been sealed as a family unit for all eternity. I'm grateful that nearly 30 years ago I was sealed in eternal marriage to my wonderful DH, and thereby have all of our dear children sealed to us as an eternal family unit.  I'm grateful for the many times that I have been able to attend the temple with various family members, friends and on my own.  There I am reminded of the things that are most important in life. While visiting the temple I feel especially close to God, and can feel his help and guidance in my life and with decisions I need to make and problems that I am facing. 

Here are just a few of the beautiful temples that I have had the blessing of visiting throughout my life:

Washington DC LDS Temple

Chicago, IL  LDS Temple

Portland, OR  LDS Temple

Salt Lake City, UT  LDS Temple


Los Angeles, CA LDS Temple



"I am satisfied that if our people would attend the temple more, there would be less selfishness in their lives. There would be less absence of love in their relationships. There would be more fidelity on the part of husbands and wives. There would be more love and peace and happiness in the homes of our people . . ."


---President Gordon B Hinckley
Former President, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints


For more of my thoughts on temples, feel free to visit this post at Random Thoughts and Tender Mercies.
For more information on LDS Temples, feel free to visit http://www.lds.org/church/temples?lang=eng




4 comments:

  1. Love the temple! --I've been to ones in California (4), Hawaii, Canada, and maybe if I think harder another one or two more ..but I don't want to think so hard right now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit the Hawaii and Canadian temples. Hopefully someday. I used to know people who had plans to visit every temple, back before there were so very many. It would be almost impossible now for most people.

      Delete
  2. I have liked this month's visiting teaching message about temples and temple covenants. I find President Monson's words powerful and inspiring:

    “The saving ordinances received in the temple that permit us to someday return to our Heavenly Father in an eternal family relationship and to be endowed with blessings and power from on high are worth every sacrifice and every effort. ... As we remember the covenants we make within [the temple], we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those beautiful promises and blessings? Maybe we an go together this summer.

      Delete