Monday, September 23, 2013

The Family, A Proclamation To The World

Over 50 years ago I was born into a family where my mother and father honored their marital vows with complete fidelity. They taught their six children principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, and work, and gave us opportunities for wholesome recreational activities. I’m grateful for a father who provided the necessities of life and a mother who has spent her lifetime nurturing her children and others.




Thirty years ago I was blessed with a wonderful companion as my husband who has also honored our marital vows with complete fidelity. We have been blessed over the years with our own six beautiful children who were each created in the image of God and who each have their own divine nature and destiny. We have done our best to care for each other and for our children, and to rear them with love and righteousness.



Eighteen years ago today, President Gordon B. Hinckley first presented The Family, A Proclamation To The World in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints’ General Relief Society Meeting. The family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. He warned that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by both ancient and modern prophets.

I’m grateful for my family. I’m grateful for the guidance that this proclamation gives to us all. It is my wish and my prayer that people and families throughout the world will turn to their families and use these simple, basic principles to maintain and strengthen their homes and in so doing, strengthen and maintain our society.


3 comments:

  1. I love, LOVE, that last picture! What a treasure to ahve. It reminds me actually of the painting in the Gospel Art Kit of Adam and Eve teaching their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo too, and you're right. The photo set up was inspired by the painting of Adam and Eve teaching their children. We had the photo on the mantle next to a print of the artwork for years. Not everyone catches the similarity.

      Delete
  2. I love how creative you were with applying the Proclamation to your own family. Way to liken the scriptures! :-)

    I love all these precious pictures. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete